Saturday, December 6, 2008

Better living through technology

My lovely husband gave me a very special gift 3 weeks ago. It was something that I had coveted for a long time but never had the money to purchase. I hesitate to ask for expensive gifts now that I stay at home with the kids and do not bring any income. I know that I am doing my part by being with the kids blah, blah, blah but I still have a hard time with it.
S won an I.p.o.d. shuffle in a work raffle and came home and unselfishly gave it to me. After wanting one for so very long I was extremely pleased to say the least.
It sat. Waiting for me to upload something delicious to it. I didn't want to put just any music on it. The music that I chose had to be just right. The pressure was too intense. I was afraid that its inaugural play would be anti-climatic. So it sat some more.
When I go shopping I usually attract extremely chatty people. I am not sure what it is about my countenance but strangers always want to seem to talk to me. Usually I can tolerate it and on most days even enjoy it. In the midst of bad days, however, it is extremely hard for me to even muster what could pass for polite small talk. I want to retreat inside my shell and pretend like the world outside doesn't exist. I get tired of the constant reminders of my faults.
Inspiration struck this morning and thanks to $1.98 worth of i.tu.nes downloads and some mp3 scouring from my laptop my shuffle was ready.
When I got out of the car I put the earphones in. My bubble was complete.
A whole new world opened up to me. Queens of the Stone Age's 3s & 7s lit up the grocery store. Everyone pushing carts seemed to be dancing to the beat. I had the impulse to open and shut the freezer doors in time to the music. I literally floated to the self-checkout. Next, it was on to the liquor store.
Tupac's California Love was banging in my ears as I grabbed an extra large bottle of Tequila Blanco (I know, Snoop's Gin and Juice would've been more appropriate but I wasn't in the mood). Standing in line I noticed a few surreptitious glances in my direction and wondered why until I realized that I had been keeping the beat on the bottle with my fingertips.
My last errand was kitty litter and Z.o.loft at Tar-get. Only JJ Fad's Supersonic would suffice. I was in heaven in my bubble of sound. Blissfully ignored.
I read an article last week about the younger generation relying too much on technology. They are constantly talking on their phones, listening to music, and interfacing with their black.berries. Supposedly they are no longer aware of social niceities. This is the new normal.
After reading the article I was a little sad. I don't like the idea of people pulling away from each other and forgetting to reach out. To remember that we are all here and in this together.
But today I get it. Shutting out the noise from outside and rejoicing a little on the inside was wonderful. Life with a soundtrack was great.
Today I carved out a little peace in a world that is constantly in flux around me. My tapping foot was keeping me grounded.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Anything that makes you happy :)

I'm glad you've entered into the world of the ipod... it's a wonderful thing and I love how the world just seems happier when it's going by to the music of my choice.

And I didn't know you were a Queens of the Stoneage fan... a good friend of mine from back home adores that group and made me listen to it constantly when we were together!

Kelly Perry said...

Cate,

I am SO happy for you. Keep it real, girl!

Adrianne said...

OOOH I can't wait! I so think that I am getting an IPOD on Sat for my 30th and I can't wait!! I have been begging for a while and I think dh listened. Man if I don't get one I might cry! I so wish I could have seen you jammin at the grocery store!!

Good for you!!!