Monday, August 13, 2012

Remember me?

I saw something amazing today. I was in the operating room during a surgery and saw peristalsis of the intestine. It was probably the most memorable thing I have seen in my journey to become a nurse. Why? Because most everything else I have witnessed has been the dysfunction of the human body. But today...today I saw the human body operating as the wonderful machine it is. Normal, healthy, and something that most people in their lifetimes will never witness. It is times like this where I feel like becoming a nurse is such a privilege. I hope that I always keep this feeling with me.
I have been waiting for one of my rotations to strike me like lightning and help me decide which population I want to work with the most. I was desperately hoping that Peds wasn't going to be it. Because I knew in my heart of hearts it would be the rotation I took home with me. They would be the patients I would cry my heart out about. But they are also the patients that give me the most hope. I knew in my heart I would love it. I am scared to commit to being a Pediatric Nurse. I think the highs could be amazing. It is the devastating lows that frightens me the most. I feel a connection with Pediatric patients and their parents that makes me want to fight for them harder because they are fresh and new and didn't ask for any of it.

No comments: