Sunday, September 21, 2008

Perspective is a Bitch

Yesterday I saw my neighbor from across the street at the mailbox. She has a son who is about A's age and a daughter who is 12. She had secondary infertility which accounts for the distance between her two children (she disclosed this to me once during our longest conversation which lasted probably 30 minutes 2 years ago). Other than waving while driving past her house and the brief exchanged pleasantries we really don't see each other or speak that much. I noticed about 5 months ago she got a really short haircut and I think I commented on it at the time but I can't really remember exactly what I said.
While at the mailbox, with both our sons running around screaming on the sidewalk, my 30-something neighbor casually mentions that she goes to the doctor every other week. Me, being totally oblivious, ask her what for.
"I thought you knew. I have cancer. It started in my colon and has metastasized to my liver. I get chemo every two weeks." Her blue eyes scan my face intently as the shock of her announcement slowly registers.
"Oh my god, I had no idea. I am so sorry. Is there anything I can do to help?" I say pathetically, stammering and barely able to get the words out.
She refuses my offers of dinners made on her chemo days but asks me to get the boys together for a playdate this week at the park.
I would've given her anything she asked for. Anything.
After I put the kids to bed that night, I looked out our kitchen window which faces her house. In the glow of her garage light I see her putting her son's tricycle away and pushing her daughter's bike slowly into the garage. Her thin frame barely makes a shadow.
Just two months ago she and I had a brief conversation about preschool for the boys and I remember complaining about something mundane and stupid. This was just about the time she found out that the cancer she thought she had beaten two years ago had not only returned but spread. How she refrained from punching me in the face is beyond me. This woman lives daily with the knowledge that she is going to die sooner than later. It must be heartbreaking.
Perspective is a bitch.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow... things like that really do put things into perspective.

Adrianne said...

Cate you didn't know then. Now you know. So you can just complain to someone else. Just keep volunteering to do things and one day she will say yes!

The Lj's said...

wow... i hope you can find a way to be of service to her that she will accept... i know you will rally for her... she is in my prayers!