Thursday, October 30, 2008

I put on make up today

For the first time since getting PPD. Well, for the first time during the day not for any particular reason or event. And I did my hair. This is monumental. I actually had the desire to look presentable. Not because I had to but because I wanted to. It felt good. Strange, but good.
It is raining here for the first time in a long time. The wind is blowing and I have the window open to let in the cool breeze and the fresh smell. I am amused that while the leaves are dying and things are starting to look bleak outside internally I am experiencing a tiny spring. Not every day, mind you, but enough to feel human again. And hopeful.
In other news, my own recent personal emotional development did not increase my parenting skills today. I yelled at A when I was trying to talk on the phone and he kept butting in. Sometimes he frustrates me so much that I want to run outside and scream. I feel like I am talking to a wall. I ask him not to do something and he does it. Again. And Again. There is nothing more frustrating to me than not to be heard. Unfortunately it is a syndrome that I am almost convinced is genetically linked to the Y chromosome. Our dog is male and doesn't listen. Both my husband and my son are male and, well, you get the idea.
Do you ever look at your kids and wonder how you created something so cute? I mean, come on. Look at this face.
And this guy. Unique does not even begin to describe him.
He insisted on being Venom, the black spiderman. Yes, the costume is a little disco but my mom made it from a vintage pattern. I guess Marvel comics doesn't publish patterns for costumes they sell. I had to find this one on ebay. Not sure why my Mom chose satin but whatever. A doesn't care. In fact he loves it.
Days like today I don't feel like I put forth my best effort at parenting. My therapist insists that children are terribly resilient, however, and will probably grow up to be relatively normal people (inspite of me being the unspoken ending to this sentence). I can only hope.
Because when you have this for a mother you are pretty much screwed from the get goAnd yes, that is a homemade beer hat.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I'm actually thinking that A and W are going to be better off with a mother like that. :)

And I suppose we'll have to go with the Y chromosome theory until our daughters prove us otherwise. Jillie already seems to listen better at not even a year old, but I never know if it's just a fluke.

Adrianne said...

Can I just say that I don't know if is is the chromosome or just the age. I HATE 3 year olds... Maybe I hate kids... Maybe I wasn't supposed to be a mom... What did I do?????? There I said for all of us...

Anonymous said...

I read about a bunch of long term studies about factors in whether kids turned out to be intelligent, productive members of society, and do you know what the biggest factor was?

Whether or not someone read stories to them every day.

So don't beat them, starve them, and read them stories and you're pretty much good to go.