Sunday, January 18, 2009

Putting myself out there

I decided to apply for a part time job in the evenings. As a bartender. Anyone who knows me would know that really it is the perfect job for me. Liquor is probably my first true love right next to ice cream and babysitters. I put in my application on Friday and worried about it all weekend. I have no experience. I do, however, have a completely useless Bachelor's degree that cost me an arm and a leg to get at a private university and which I will probably never ever use. I think I am going to find out that my degree doesn't amount for squat nowadays.
As I was applying at this newly built chain restaurant, the stuffy temporary trailer was filled to the brim with people only speaking Spanish. In fact, one of the interviewers was dedicated solely to them. I learned back when I used to manage a chain fast food joint after I got out of the Navy that there are many jobs that those who are new to this country and do not speak English can do in the food services industry. I would say probably 85% of my staff were non-native English speakers and of the 85%, probably 25% spoke English passably enough to work the cash register. Everyone else made burgers and cleaned.
These people were extremely dedicated and most of them worked 2 and 3 jobs at fast food places to send money back to their home country for their families. They all lived together, sometimes 7 or 8 to an apartment. They would work their asses off for 6 months saving what money they didn't send home, and then return to their home country to live like Kings and Queens for the other 6 months. Then come back across the border and do it all over again.
I had no problem with these people, except for the language barrier I suppose. Honestly I don't really care who you are or what you do as long as you work hard and keep your nose clean.
When I walked into that trailer on Friday I have to admit I was a little smug. I have a degree, for goodness' sake! I am a smart woman who was very successful in my career...um, 4 years ago. Yeah. 4 years ago.
As I looked around I realized that most of the people applying for the jobs that I looked down my nose at (dishwasher, etc.) would probably be hired. They had job experience. They worked for much less pay. Me? Not so much.
Suddenly I am very humble.
The man who interviewed me when I turned my application in told me that they would call for interviews starting on Monday (today) after 5pm. What does it mean if I don't get a second interview?

1 comment:

Adrianne said...

Gosh I hope you get that 2nd interview and prove yourself wrong!